What are the main barriers to growth?
- 28% – Strategic deficiency
- 26% – Organisation and leadership
- 17% – Operational and competence gaps
- 11% – Lack of customer intimacy
- 10% – Unattractive regulatory environment
- 7% – Economic cycle (downturn)
- 5% – Product lifecycle (downward trend)
- 5% – Cultural resistance
Source: Survey of 953 senior leaders from A.T. Kearney executive briefings from 1999 to 2003.
According to the senior leaders, the biggest barrier to growth is the organisation itself (82%).
And notice what constitutes over 50% of the barriers. Wise companies think: Strategy first, then Implementation, and finally Execution. Sadly, most companies start with Execution and never go beyond it.